Tuesday, 21 September 2010

what a difference a week makes part II

Had a look at the plants put into the front garden and my thyme and rosemary are struggling a little but look like they should come good. The lavenders and marjoram are going great guns.
As shown in part I of todays posting, things are really taking off.  I am pleased to report the hitherto struggling comfrey has settled into its new spot well.


My most unfinished area in the back garden is improving with the violets settling in ok, columbine and helebore responding well to an earlyspring feed, and lots of lovely new growth on the nasturtiums.

Helebore, columbine and violets
the darker leaf is the new growth, im not sure if the variegations will carry into the second season
The nasturiums sit behind and to the left of the helebore and its friends, and there is about a sq metre of space in front of them which i intend to fill with spinach for this spring/summer. the fence to the right is angled and i will most likely grow some potatoes in a bag against the fenceline. 
The soil in this area has been neglected and walked on, it gets lowish sunlight and virtually no rain. It has all been fed with seaweed emulsion and a little compost which has helped immensely. The plants in this area are all fairly shade tolerant and hardy.

I have been weeding a couple of times a week in the entire backyard, I think I am winning with my own space, the weeds are less and I am getting to them earlier in their cycle. 
Weed invasion from next door may be an issue the area was once a veggie patch but is now weed laden and there are running grasses sneaking under the fence.
The grape vine and fruit tree shown in Part I are the only remnants of what looks like a once lovely garden.
The fruit tree is in desperate need of attention, feeding pruning weeding mulching I think it may be a peach or perhaps an almond, the fruit is non existant and the blossoms drop heavily and quickly so i havent really seen what it puts out.
The grape, hardy as they are, gets watered  "accidentally" through the fence, and I try and get a little food to it as it generously sends some of its branches to us and manages to fruit.

 *Note : remember to get some netting, lost the entire harvest to birds last year.*

There is also the infamous Jasmine (below) winding its way across from our other neighbours yard. Lovely plant, if invasive, pruned about 50% off what had climbed over the fence a few weeks ago, it could probably use more pruning but I may hold off until the flowers are finished, except where it is sneaking through the fence at its base and attacking the grapevine.
invasive but beautiful
to do list:
more prep in the soon to be tomato/bean area
feeding and weeding
prep frames, bean mesh, pots and stakes
**seeds MUST go into trays this week

No comments:

Post a Comment